Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Lace Dyeing

Today I have a busy day planned, lace dyeing time! We have about 9 new colors for the Spring/Summer 2011 season, ranging from light gray to fuchsia..and everything in between.  One thing that I love about dyeing your own fabric is that you have an infinite number of color options (all you have to do is dilute the color or add more pigment to change the hue, and BAM! a new color).


Because our lace is vintage taking care to protect the material during the washing process and dying process is VERY important.  So even though it adds quite a bit of time to the process we hand wash and hand dye the lace.  It's an easy process and allows me to have more control over the agitation.  I like to use a powder pigment because it gives me the ability to store my dyes for longer periods of time instead of having to use them all in one sitting. 

I've found a site that gives you an easy step by step process to dying and I thought I'd share it with you! All about Dyeing, is a site that gives you detailed information for dyeing fabric, and the correct type of dye required for your fabrics fiber content.   So take the time to peruse the site and read over the instructions before you take the leap into dyeing, believe me it will help:)

So after a lot of practice, a few blue hands and many mistakes I've become quite comfortable with dyeing our lace and hope that you will enjoy our new colors coming out!

Happy Dyeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...